Thursday, February 10, 2011

hong kong tatler fashion editor arne talks style...


Stylish men are hard to find, especially in Hong Kong. Arne Eggers, Fashion Editor at Hong Kong Tatler, is one of the most stylish men I know, so I quizzed him about his fabulous job, the spring/summer collections, and discovered a few of his style secrets...

1) Describe a typical day as Fashion Editor for Hong Kong Tatler
I think the most typical thing about my job is that there are no typical days: One day I might be running around town to attend press events, other days I could be in a studio shooting a fashion story, in the office laying out pages with our designers, or in a cafe brainstorming new ideas with a photographer. That's what I enjoy about the job - it never gets boring!

2) Which key trends for spring/summer 2011 are you most excited about?
I'm actually not very excited at all about the menswear trends this season! Floral prints and cargo pants? No thanks. But even in the worst season there are a few things you can find: my spring look is going to be cut off shorts with a simple low round neck t-shirt, a formal suit jacket and casual espadrilles.

3) Current favourite designer and why?
I don't have one single favourite designer but of course there are a few people in the industry who I admire: Alber Elbaz from Lanvin example, for delivering one stunning collection after another. Raf Simons, for designing a standout spring collection for Jil Sander that featured some of the most beautiful looks I've seen in years. Alexis Mabille, for bringing a great new vibe into Haute Couture.

4) Where do you shop for menswear in HK?
I buy a lot of my clothes abroad so I when I'm shopping in Hong Kong, I try to find things that aren't available elsewhere. I'm lucky enough to have a body type that fits the local fashion, and love mixing my wardrobe with pieces from Hong Kong based high street labels such as Indu Homme. Another great place to shop local menswear is Moustache on Aberdeen street, a fun store that offers menswear ready-to-wear, accessories, and bespoke tailoring.

5) Top 3 items in your wardrobe?

1. Black cashmere silk scarf by Loro Piana.
This Italian brand is producing the most divine cashmere and even though it comes with a rather large price tag, it's worth every penny. I had this heavenly soft scarf for years and wear it almost every day
2. Black slim fit tuxedo jacket by Dior Homme.
Whether I wear it to a black tie event or with jeans and t-shirt - this timeless jacket gives my look an instant lift
3. White Topshop Plimsolls.
I love my canvas plimsolls and was very excited to learn that Topshop now delivers to Hong Kong. There is no other shoe in the world that is as low-key and stylish at the same time.

No comments:

don't miss out...secretstylist by email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner